Friday 11 December 2009

Marsden turns his back on Premiership for hoops dream

Christmas has come early for Celtic striker Johny Marsden with two goals in a week.

The 18-year-old from Wigan has spent most of the season on the sidelines with injury but has notched back to back goals against Brora Rangers and St Mirren.

Marsden turned his back on half a dozen Premiership clubs in his own backyard to join the hoops to the delight of the Celtic-mad elements in his own family.

"Half of my family are Celtic fans and they are one of the biggest clubs in the world," he smiled about his choice of club.

"I thought that I'd get a better chance here than I'd get at an English club where they just go out and buy top class strikers for £25m or whatever.

"I've settled in quickly at Celtic although it's obviously difficult when you leave home as a 16-year-old but that's what you need to do to be a footballer.

"Celtic was always in my thoughts when I was growing up, my family is all English but there might be some Scottish and Irish relatives far back and that's why they've supported Celtic.

"I'm a Liverpool fan and remember not being too pleased when Celtic beat Liverpool in the UEFA Cup but they did well in that tournament."

Marsden is one of a number of players from outwith the traditional Celtic heartlands making their way through the club Academy.

Josh Thompson and Matty Hughes have also been recruited from the North-West of England with the Twardzik's, Filip and Patrik, picked up from Germany.

Various players are currently being assessed by the Academy coaching staff with the Celtic scouting network covering Europe extensively.

Recruiting young talent from England should be a difficult task with parents being offered massive amounts of money and even houses or jobs for getting their kids to sign up.

Against that the lack of opportunities for English players could give Celtic a chance to offer players the prospect of a top level career.

Nothing is left to chance within the Celtic Academy with every aspect of the players development monitored in the hope of producing first team candidates.

Marsden added: "Being at Celtic has been brilliant for me, with full time training I'm learning every day. The players can see themselves improving as the coaches Stevie (Frail) and Tommy (McIntyre) keep on pushing us.

"It's great to get back involved playing and scoring goals, that's what strikers are judged on and hopefully there will be lots more goals for me to enjoy this season.

"Last season I was playing for the u-17's and this season is only just starting for me. Scoring gives strikers confidence, when I'm scoring I'm happy with my game and looking to score in the next match."

Celtic 4-1 St Mirren, youths back on top of the league

Liverpool Echo article on Marsden's signing

1 comment:

DubCentral said...

Hi Joe

Another great article on the youngsters at Celtic Park, keep up the great work nobody else is really covering this in any detail.

Do you think Ki Sung Yueng will go straight into the first team or will he be playing with the Youths first.

The WeKnowSFA site has a collection of YouTube videos of the new Korean signing.

http://footballsfootball.com/WeknowSFA/celtics-ki-sung-yueng-youtube-footage/